Monday, June 5, 2017

CAROLE P. ROMAN INTERVIEW



I am pleased to welcome, Carole P. Roman to this week's blog. She is an accomplished and award winning children's author. Please leave a comment or ask Carole a question.


When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer? 


I always wanted to be a writer. I am an avid reader, and my life has dotted with books that filled my imagination. Writing has been a natural outcome from my love of reading.
What would you say is your interesting writing quirk? 

I can write while I have a conversation with someone. Which is funny, because I can’t talk while I watch television.
Are there unique challenges in writing children’s books? 

You have to keep it entertaining for two audiences, the adult readers sharing the books with the child who keeps requesting, “Read it again!.”
What was one of the most surprising things you learned in creating your books? 

I learned that I am good at marketing. I enjoy that part of this business. I now have two radio talk shows and a magazine. This enterprise diversified. 
What do you think makes a good story?

I love anything that makes someone close a book, and the story stays with them. Whether it’s fiction or nonfiction, it’s great when a reader continues to share what they’ve read.
Where do you get your ideas for your books? 


Most happen as life occurs. The kids will say something, and an event will occur. Captain No Beard and the Aurora Borealis was inspired by a conversation with my grandson when he decided he wanted to steal the natural wonder and bring it to New York. Oh Susannah: It’s in the Bag was born from a conversation about how we keep taking on responsibilities until we are overburdened. Children are watching; is that what we are teaching the next generation?
What do you like to do when you're not writing? 

I work full-time in a family business. I read and review books for many different sites. I am launching a magazine and have two radio talk shows; Let’s Say Hello to our Neighbors and Navigating Indieworld. The first is a show based on my non-fiction series If You Were Me and Lived in…. The second show is a talk show about the book I co-authored about marketing self-published books. 
I am busy with my grandchildren, children, and husband, as well.
What books have most influenced your life? 

The Source by James Michener. It made me realize everything develops for a reason. To Kill a Mockingbird and ShoGun, these are the books that made me want to write. They were entertainment at its finest. 
Did you learn anything from writing your book and what was it? 

I’m 62, and I don’t have to retire. I can do anything I would like to and that there are no limits (within reason, I’m not climbing Mount Everest!)  This year I have won over twenty awards, my books have been on the best-seller list, and Forbes did two articles about me.  
Do you have any advice for other writers? 

Get into a good discussion group on BookWorks or Goodreads and ask questions!  Speak to other writers and learn to promote yourself. If you take the time to write something, take the time to make sure it gets read.

Oh Susannah: It’s in the Bag - Excerpt:
Chapter 1
Susannah woke up in the morning. She knew it was morning because the sky was a lovely ice blue with a line of orange and pink where the sun was slowing rising over the ridge of the mountaintops. She looked out her window and saw a beautiful star. It was a bright point in the sky, just over the highest hill. She held out her hand on the windowsill, measuring the distance of the star with her fingers. It was almost a full hand span away from the horizon.
Susannah stretched and hopped out of bed. Her unfinished homework was on the floor. She looked at the ten math questions, shrugging. She had answered two of them before she gave up, last night. She stared at the raspberry carpet peeking through the tear in the paper. She had erased the answer so hard on the third example; she rubbed a hole right through the paper. Third grade was proving to be a lot harder than she thought. She peered guiltily around, then using her toe, she pushed it under her bookbag.
Susannah gazed in the mirror. She flared her small nose to make it look bigger. It made her skin turn pink clashing with her orange freckles. Her blond hair curled too much to make her happy. She pulled it into a tight ponytail, taming the wild waves. 
Her mother called for her to hurry. Mom was always rushing. Between her job and all the things she needed to do every day, her mother never seemed to have much time. Mom sold houses. She was always running to either see a house, take someone to see a house, or sit with them while they bought the house. 
Mom’s eyes were always on the clock in the kitchen. It was as if their whole life revolved around that big clock. Its oversized ornate hands dictated whether breakfast would be rushed, or if dinner would be meatloaf and with a mountain of mashed potatoes or a quick pizza from Phil’s. 
Susannah could hear it’s loud ticking, every minute making her mother more frantic. That old clock could determine what kind of day Susannah was going to have, and from the sound of her mother’s voice, it was not going to be a good one.
That clock decided a lot in my life, she grumbled to herself. Susannah dressed, not caring if her shirt didn’t quite match her pants. Mom yelled again, this time sounding loud and impatient.  
Susannah picked up her backpack; the homework lay slightly crushed on the carpeted floor. 

“Susannah!” her mother hollered.“I don’t have time for this today! I expect you to be down here on time.” 
Susannah tucked the paper in her backpack between her folders. She eyed the green folder, satisfied the paper was hidden. She was sure no one would see it. Maybe she should show it to her mom; she thought guiltily as she dragged her book bag from the room.
Susannah paused, laying her backpack down on the floor and reached in to pull out the uncompleted math homework.
I should talk to Mom about that. She said to herself. 
“Susannah Maya Logan!”  Mom sounded harried. “I don’t have time!”
Oh, the middle name, Susannah thought. She means business.
Susannah shoved the paper back quickly. “I’m coming,” she called as she bounded down the steps.

Carole P. Roman's Bio:
Carole P. Roman is the award-winning author of the Captain No Beard series. Both Captain No Beard-An Imaginary Tale of a Pirate's Life and Captain No Beard and the Aurora Borealis have received the Kirkus Star of Exceptional Merit. The first book in the series was named to Kirkus Reviews Best 2012. Captain No Beard and the Aurora Borealis has been named to Kirkus Reviews Best of 2015. Each book in the series has won numerous awards including the NABE Pinnacle Award, IAN Award, Moonbeam Award 2014, National Indie Excellence Award Finalist, Shelf Media Outstanding Series Award, ForeWord Review Five Star and Finalist in the Book of the Year, and Reader's Views Children's Book of the Year 2013. 




Roman is also the author of the award-winning non-fiction culture series If You Were Me and Lived in... that explores customs and cultures around the world. She has co-authored a self-help book, Navigating Indieworld A Beginners Guide to Self-Publishing and Marketing. She lives on Long Island with her husband and near her children and grandchildren.

Carole P. Roman links and social media:










No comments:

Post a Comment