Monday, May 1, 2017

AUTHOR INTERVIEW, BEKAH CLARK


It is my pleasure to introduce Bekah Clark, an accomplished and prolific author of primarily young adult romantic fantasy novels. 


What inspired you to write your first book?

I’ve always had a passion for books.  When I was young, I used to love to write poetry.  Long before I ever wrote a book, I would make up little stories in my mind or characters.  I thought about it for a long time, but life got in the way.  When my father died unexpectedly and under rather traumatic circumstances, I poured myself into writing.  The first book I ever wrote was the Frozen Queen: Reluctant Heir.  Sometimes I feel I put that out in the wild too soon, but the need to write that book consumed me.  It was a way of coping with the loss of my father.

What books have most influenced your life?

Dune is probably my number one favorite book.  I first read it when I was twelve and I re-read it every few years.  I loved the world that Frank Herbert created and found the characters fascinating.  The other books which are part of the reason I write a lot of fantasy were the original Dragonriders of Pern series by Anne McCaffrey which I also read when I was young.  I adored the world she created and it was my first spark for writing a world of my own.  Her character of Lessa was a solid strong female and it’s influenced me to have the focus of my books around a strong female character.

Are there any new authors that have grasped your interest?

Sarah J. Maas is one of my current favorites.  I adore her writing style and find her characters interesting.  A couple of indie authors I adore are Elizabeth Hunter and Dannika Dark.  Both have created wonderful urban fantasies that actually influenced my decision to just go for it with self-publishing.  Though, I will admit I am pondering on taking my next series the traditional route.


Do you recall how your interest in writing originated?

I think it sprung up from my love of reading about strange new worlds and making up rhymes when I was young.

Is there anything you find particularly challenging in your writing?

Two things.  Time is the first because for some reason, I find myself constantly going through the book to make sure that the amount of time which has passed makes sense.  The second would be a balance of detail.  I find books that get into too much description of mundane things boring, but I don’t want to skip things that would help immerse my readers in the worlds I create.

Do you have any advice for other writers?

Love what you’re doing.  Love your characters and love the world you are making.  If you don’t have a real love for these things it will show.

What book are you introducing to us today?

The Stone Sisters: Lyssa.  It’s the first in a trilogy about two sisters who are not of this world.  It starts with them doing what they’ve always done, moved to a new town and try to blend in.  The younger sister, Lexa, really just wants to be like everyone else.  The older sister, Lyssa has good reason to want to protect her younger sister, but she’s gotten to a point in her life that her only focus is that.  She’s living half a life and doesn’t realize it.  All of this starts to change when she meets Kyle who isn’t put off by her usual lines of defense. 

How did you come up with the title?

While usually a title kicks around my head for a while as a story develops, this title was easy because this trilogy is about the sisters and the changes they go through.

Tell us what you like about the main characters of this book.

Each of the characters in the book is special in different ways and while the next books will focus a bit more on characters that may be considered side characters in this book, all of the books will focus on the sisters.  I love Lyssa’s love and need to protect her sister, she has such dedication that she’s willing to give up her own happiness for it.  Because of this, she has a lot to learn.  Lexa’s sweet and fun, but at her heart she wants her sister to experience a life of her own.  I adore Kyle’s persistence and warmth.  He’s intelligent and perceptive and realizes immediately that Lyssa puts up a front to protect her heart.

Did you learn anything from writing your book and what was it?

Prior to this, the worlds I created were completely unique, such as in The Frozen Queen and The Hawk In Winter.  This book is set on earth, so I had to adapt some of my techniques and style to accommodate it.  It was a lot of fun.

What is the main thing you hope readers remember from this story?

The importance of love in one’s life.  Love of family, love of friends and love for that one person who changes you.


Please share an excerpt from the book.

“You always this friendly?  I wasn’t trying to be rude, just curious about you, trying to understand.”
“Look, my parents move around a lot.  In the last three years, I’ve been to as many schools.  There’s no point in making friends.”
The beauty of that statement was the core of truth in it. Lexa and Lyssa had moved around a lot, Kyle just didn’t need to know they didn’t have parents.  Turning her eyes back outside, she figured he was done.  Don’t look at the sexy boy, Lyssa, she quietly warned herself.
“Must be lonely.”
“Excuse me?”  Lyssa turned her gaze back to him.  What was with this persistence?
Kyle smiled at her and yep, it was just as sexy as the rest of him.  For a moment, Lyssa’s heart fluttered.  It had to be hormones.  She had never been attracted so much before.  Of course, most guys her age didn’t look like Kyle.
“You must be lonely, moving around all the time.  It’s a defense, isn’t it?  This cold bitch routine.  You don’t want to get too close because you know you’ll be leaving again soon.  It’s a defense.”
“Why are you so persistent?”
“Why are you so resistant?”  He countered just as some guys walked into the room and called out his name.  Kyle turned back to them and grinned, “Brad, Steven.”

Thank you, Bekah for sharing about you and your books. 
Here are links to follow Bekah and learn more about her books:

https://www.facebook.com/BekahClarkBooks/
https://www.pinterest.com/bekahclarkbooks/
https://www.instagram.com/bekahclarkbooks/




No comments:

Post a Comment