Tuesday, February 21, 2017

WRITING GOALS

As authors who love to write, often we need to set aside goals to help us as follow our dreams. Here are some techniques I use and I invite you to comment and add any methods you use to achieve your writing goals.

1. I set aside the morning hours to take care of the "busy" activities such as tweeting, posting on LinkedIn and Facebook, and checking emails and comments on my blogs.

2. I spend an hour or more writing, researching, or outlining for my next book, article, or blog. 

3. Take frequent breaks to stretch, breathe deeply, and walk around the block or house. These will help you physically, emotionally, and spiritually. 

4. Remember to feed your body nutritious snacks and meals; drink plenty of water.

5. I find listening to relaxing music without lyrics is conducive to writing. 

6. I designate which days/times I will take care of household responsibilities: laundry, grocery shopping, cleaning, etc.

7. I keep notes and names for future blogs; tracking on a calendar specific to writing events, guest blogs, etc. 


These are just goals. They are not written in stone! They are meant to be adjusted, moved around, or acted upon as they best meet my daily needs. The most important thing is that I ENJOY what I am doing. To feel a sense of accomplishment, however small, is important. 

A writer can be his/her own worse enemy or judge. A published writer does not give up, but perseveres.

               Best wishes to each of you that dream to write, write, and create.

6 comments:

  1. Karen, we share a few of the same tips and tricks. I keep a book for notes with names and future blogs as well and a calendar to track due dates. I also set aside specific writing times and times for household chores. And I'm with you on the soothing music without lyrics. I almost always have something soft playing in the background when I'm working. Happy scribing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MaeClair, thank you for sharing your additional tips/tricks. No wonder you are such a successful and creative writer.

      Delete
  2. I juggle a few balls myself but always find time for writing. I have to admit I am behind on my book reading but I try to put time aside in the evening to catch up on it. Looking forward to visiting and reading your offerings. ☺☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We "Indies" do have to juggle things around. I wish I had the luxury of a private assistant who would take care of the important yet time-consuming aspects of getting a book sold. Just let me write!

      Delete
  3. I love the way you have your goals organized and allow for time to bend the schedule when needed. I think it's great if you can discipline yourself to sticking to designated time chunks. I have to learn more when to stop and take those breaks. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all have to be flexible and "bend with the wind." Otherwise we would get frustrated and spend energy on our frustration rather than the writing. Glad you came by, Debby.

      Delete