Sunday, January 29, 2017

THE "LOSS OF IRON JOHN"?


In the late 1980's Robert Bly spawned a Men's Movement with the publication of his book, "Iron John: A Book About Men." It was on the New York Times Best Seller list for 62 weeks.
When I read this book it opened up my eyes to see and understand the disfunction of many male figures in my family. 
Mr. Bly's book is based on a Brothers Grimm fairy tale titled Eisenhans about a wild iron-skinned man and a prince.

Novy's Son is based on the life of my father, his dad, and his brothers. As a nurse therapist I counseled several men who had similar father-son issues. For many Novy's Son is a difficult read because it touches on painful family dynamics and for others it offers understanding and hope.

Unfortunately many sons do not learn how to mature, loving, and giving men from their fathers. Often the cycle is repeated. When one reflects on their relationship with their father it is the hope that the child can say I learned: to be a good listener, a good provider, to ensure safety to my family, to be respectful, and to be honest and open with my emotions and feelings. 

**There are two editions to Novy's Son. The first one is written with all fictional names; however, I rewrote it and used real names which is the second edition.

The book is available for 0.99 at https://www.amazon.com/Novys-Son-Selfish-Karen-Ingalls-ebook/product-reviews/B01B1O2VQY/ref=cm on Kindle for a limited time.

Here are some reviews that might be of interest to you.

43573835

D.L. Finn rated a book it was amazing

about 10 hours ago
21542351. uy112
Although this book is fiction, it is based on Ms. Ingalls father. It is a book I will unlikely forget. The story starts off with Murray Clark’s childhood on an orange ranch, in Southern California in the 1920s. I enjoyed how detailed the history was through Murray’s eyes. I was completely involved in how Murray became the man he did. Murray’s actions (and his lack of responsibility for them) reminded me of men I grew up with. I saw the similar acting out in my own home as a child. It was amazing just how well Ms. Ingalls captured this in her book and the complex family relationships. Murray’s interaction with not only his parents, brothers, aunts, uncles, daughters and women, but most importantly—himself was riveting. I experienced many emotions reading this: both good and bad and sometimes uncomfortable, but only because I was so invested. I would agree Murray was a selfish-genius, yet part of me felt sorry for him and everyone around him. I wanted him to change-- unfortunately, he always got in the way of that. This is a well written, fascinating read that I highly recommend.


5.0 out of 5 stars An unflinching look inside the head of a flawed manFebruary 8, 2016
By 
Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: Novy's Son: The Selfish Genius (Kindle Edition)
The thing that struck me the most about this biographical novel was the way the author, Karen Ingalls, was able to reflect social changes surrounding the main character, Murray. Ingalls does a great job of putting us into the life of a boy growing up in 1920s California. And from the morals and parenting styles of that era, she adds a new light to universal coming-of-age dramas. Puberty, the opposite sex, and sibling rivalry. This first part of the book reminded me of the brothers’ story in East of Eden, right down to one brother going off to war and even some shockers involving paternity.

As Murray reaches adulthood, we see that he is a very capricious (and somewhat frustrating) protagonist. He can’t seem to stay focused on anything for very long, and that includes wives, mistresses, jobs, entrepreneurial ventures—even his own children are neglected. He’s always envisioning slights or plots against him, and his default reaction to these perceived injustices is to storm away from the problem and ignore it. Still, if you like flawed characters who represent the tumultuous and indulgent decades of the 60s and 70s, you may be very intrigued by Murray. Think Mad Men’s Don Draper.

And it’s interesting to see Murray’s lifestyle come full circle as he reaches his nineties and find himself more and more dependent on healthcare workers and his semi-estranged family.

3.0 out of 5 starsGood character development
on September 21, 2016
This was the story of a man's overindulgent life. The author did a good job with her character development. I found myself wanting to yell at the main character, as I read his tale of woe, and say, "Grow up and straighten up your life!"

I did find the pace was slow at times but all in all the book was well written.

                  **Leave a comment and be eligible to win a
                             paperback copy of Novy's Son.**

6 comments:

  1. I've enjoyed reading your fictionalised memoir, DAVIDA ... very much. The one thing that is worthy of mention is how well this book was researched and presented. So judging by the comments posted about NOVY'S SON, I am sure to get the same satisfying reading experience from this book as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maretha, both books required a lot of research and creativity to bring reality to them. Novy's Son is based on a true story of my father and other men in my family. As a nurse therapist I counseled a number of men who had similar problems with the relationships with their fathers and therefore "acted out."
      I believe this is a common problem in our society.

      Delete
    2. Maretha, please email me your address so I can mail you a copy of Novy's Son. My address is kareningalls1941@gmail.com

      Delete
  2. Every one of your books look so interesting and entertaining. Great reads.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marilyn. I hope you enjoy them.

      Delete
    2. Marilyn, when you see this message please email me your address for a copy of the book, Novy's Son. My email address is kareningalls1941@gmail.com

      Delete