Sunday, October 16, 2016

OUTSHINING CANCER CHALLENGES


               CANCER is not a subject that anyone wants to talk about,
           deal with, read about, or have to experience with a loved
           one, or him or herself.

           HOWEVER cancer is a reality and we cannot close our
           eyes and ears to it. Cancer is just one challenge that a
           person might face. My belief is that a challenge is an
           opportunity to grow, to learn, and become a better person.

           OUTSHINE: AN OVARIAN CANCER MEMOIR was
           written as a result of my first diagnosis, treatment, and
           outcome with this little-known disease. I was a retired
           RN and did not know any of the symptoms. I only knew
           that it was almost always fatal. As I talk to nurses today,
           it is quite unfortunate how little they know about ovarian
           cancer.

           BLOATING was my only symptom and I had thought
           it was part of being post-menopausal. What woman does
           not gain weight and girth around her abdomen once she
           starts menopause? This is the most common symptom.
           Other symptoms are:
                     **pelvic pain
                     **urinary frequency or pain
                     **painful intercourse
                     **back pain
                     **appetite decreased or increased indigestion
                     **unusual vaginal discharge
                     **extreme fatigue
           If these symptoms persist for 2 weeks, the woman should
           go see her gynecologist immediately. Request or demand
           for a transvaginal ultrasound and a CA125. 

           IT'S BACK!!! A large tumor was found in my pelvis so 
           I will be starting chemotherapy tomorrow for 2-4 months.
           When the tumor has shrunk enough then I might have 
           surgery to remove it.
                      **I had no symptoms, and still do not.
                      **I feel like a million bucks.
                      **My CA125 was in normal range.

           I ENCOURAGE you to read my book and share it with
           every female you know. I say female because ovarian  
           cancer has been diagnosed in young pre-teen girls, which
           is rare. However, one girl is one too many.
         

                ALL PROCEEDS FROM THE PURCHASE OF 
           OUTSHINE GO TO OVARIAN CANCER RESEARCH.
                                        myBook.to/Ovarian

                      Thank you for your prayers and support. 

            

8 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry you have to go through the process all over again Karen. You are a warrior woman! With no symptoms and a good CA125, once again I'm blown away at the sudden diagnosis. If you hadn't been under surveillance for your previous tumor you may not have been fortunate enough to find out the beast returned. Sending you healing prayers and positive thoughts. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debby, your prayers and support are so appreciated. The lack of symptoms and no reliable screening make ovarian cancer so difficult. Thanks for helping me spread the word which every woman should know.

      Delete
  2. So sorry that you are facing this Karen after fighting such a great fight.. but you beat it once and you know your enemy now and can beat it again. Sending you love and any strength you need to borrow. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your love and strength you are sending is felt and I thank you. And, thank you for helping to spread the word about ovarian cancer which takes the lives of 14,000 women in the U.S. alone each year.

      Delete
  3. Facing cancer as a challenge rather than an enemy puts you in the driver's seat, Karen. I'm keeping you in my prayers and sending lots of healing energy to you. Shared this on all of my pages ❤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I honestly do approach my cancer as a challenge. This is the way I have faced other challenges (divorce, abuse, alcoholic family, etc.) in life. They are opportunities to learn and grow, be a better person. Thank you, Tina for your support.

      Delete
  4. I'm again praying for you, Karen. And I'm sharing on FB. May God bless you with returned--better than ever--health.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Elaine. Your help is getting the word out about this cancer is greatly appreciated.

      Delete