Sunday, September 11, 2016

MIKE GIUSTI




It is with great pleasure that I introduce Michael Giusti as my guest on this week's blog. I "met" Mike through his cousin who shared his book with me. I was immediately impressed with what I read and the true nature of this gentleman. His gift for writing is quite evident and his inner core of strength and wisdom is well revealed. You will enjoy and learn from his book, What To Do When The Wheels Come Off.

LEAVE A COMMENT AND BE ELIGIBLE TO WIN A 
                                                               PAPERBACK COPY OF HIS BOOK

I love the title of your book and the front cover. How did you come up with both of them?

  Whenever something goes wrong I have always heard the old expression “The wheels are coming off.”  Then I realized that when the wheels come off my wheelchair, it just becomes a normal chair to sit in.  Therefore I concluded that having the wheels come off; (adversity), is not always a bad thing and I could grow from the experience.


The cover photo was selected because it represents a path that is uneven and a journey that is uncertain.  Those two aspects alone can make travel more fun.

You say in your forward: “I wrote this book because I believe that we all need to think more kindly and step more carefully through the imposing world we navigate.” Where did such wisdom come from? 


 Due to my physical circumstance, I have always been more of an observer than a participant.    I have just noticed that more people seem rude, rough, and opinionated since the invention of cable news and the internet.  I am a big fan of kindness and civility simply because they work well together.  As I stated in the book: Many intelligent people overestimate the value of their opinion. But this is just my opinion. Page 153

Who is or are your role model(s) and why?


 The biggest role model in my life was my great aunt; Helen Zeleny.  Everyone knew her as “nanny”.  She was simply the kindest, smartest, and most gentle person I have ever known!  Today my biggest role models are two younger friends of mine: Cameron Arnoult and Luke Garris.  They possess all the qualities of my “nanny” plus they are consistent and very easy to be around.

Your book is divided into three sections: Journey Begins, Pressing Forward, and Final Stretch. Within each section are inspirational and teaching quotes.  It appears that they are all your own original thoughts. Please comment how you came upon these thoughts? Were you meditating? Did you struggle to come up with them?

  The idea for most of my thoughts came early in the morning or late at night when my mind was  relaxed.  I just started to pay attention whenever I would talk to myself.  The struggle came later when I tried to refine an idea and sometimes that process took weeks.  Quite often the original premise would fall away and give birth to a deeper concept.  For me, the most entertaining part of the book is the wordplay and the double constructs.

You must be an inspiration to others. You have a career, you volunteer, and find time to work for your political party. You have not let your physical condition keep you from slowing down.  Please comment on how and what motivates you?

 The thing that motivates me most is a desire to contribute and make things better.  I enjoy relationships and laughter more than anything else.  How I do it is rather simple.  I just view the new day as another opportunity and blessing.  I try to keep pushing forward under all conditions just because I still can.

I have certain things I do (meditation, positive thinking, exercising, etc.) in dealing with my ovarian cancer. How have you coped with your diagnosis of cerebral palsy?

  My mother was a PE teacher and my daddy was a coach and they never prevented me from doing anything I wanted to do.  I never was an inspirational disabled athlete but I always knew I was emotionally intelligent.  I have always had the ability to communicate well because my Cerebral Palsy does not affect my speech or hands and I have been blessed with an ability to empathize with others.  But I feel my two biggest strengths are my “sense of humor” and my stronger “sense of serious.

Do you have plans for another book? If so, tell us a little about it.


 I am telling my friends it took me 62 years to write my first book so my next one will be out when I am 124 years old!  I still plan to write and share my thoughts but getting my first book to press was HARD!

"Thank you Karen for this lovely opportunity.  I plan to follow your example and try to help others find success and a deeper happiness." (Michael Giusti)

         AND MY THANKS TO YOU, MICHAEL FOR BEING A PART OF THIS BLOG.
                         YOUR STORY IS INSPIRATIONAL AND MOVING.

           EVERYONE, REMEMBER TO LEAVE A COMMENT AND BE ELIGIBLE
                             TO WIN A  PAPERBACK COPY OF HIS BOOK



18 comments:

  1. A wonderful interview. Nice to learn about Mike. And now that he's published his first book, the next one shouldn't have to take 62 years, lol. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debby, thank you for the comment and hopefully he will write his next book in less than 62 years.

      Delete
    2. Thank you Debby. I invite you to pick up a copy from Amazon.com of "What To Do When The Wheels Come Off" and let me know what you think in detail.

      Sincerely
      Mike Giusti

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful review and interview with Michael Giusti! Thank you for sharing this inspirational author's story and book with us.

    I got my copy of What To Do When The Wheels Come Off, and I look forward to the next book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your encouragement Mr. Garris is food for my soul!

      Delete
    2. I use my copy of the book like a devotional. So many words of encouragement and wisdom.

      Delete
  3. I always thought people with a disability could "feel" and "think" better than the rest of us. This is proof, its true!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debra, you are wiser than most people. Too many look upon those with disabilities with sympathy, fear, or even pity. Perhaps we need to see them only as beautiful human beings with strengths and weaknesses just as the rest of us.

      Delete
    2. Debra: The special power that many disabled people have is available to everyone. We are better at observation simply because we are not invited to participate as often as everyone else. In addition, this affords us more time to think. Thank you for your lovely comment. Sincerely, Mike

      Delete
  4. This sounds like an awesome book for me. I had ovarian cancer like you, Karen, and my son has cerebral palsy like Michael. I must say, when his chair is disabled he like is extremely difficult. He cannot go to work (or college, while he was there). I'd like him to catch some of Michael's perspectives on life. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael came into my life in a serendipitous way...his cousin is a new friend I made last year out on the golf course. One day she gave me his book and said, "Here. You must read it." His book is full of wisdom and inspiration.
      I pray your ovarian cancer is staying at bay and you are doing well. Thank you for sharing about you and your son. God bless.

      Delete
    2. Hi Ms TACParent: This is Mike Giusti. You can pick up my book at Amazon.com If you want to get the book directly from me so I can personally inscribe it to your son, please send your mailing address to michaeljgiusti@yahoo.com thank you so much for your support.

      Delete
  5. I'm intrigued by your writing, Michael. Awesome interview!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Gwen. It is a wonderful book that I now use like a daily devotional.

      Delete
  6. Thank you Ms. Plano. Did you hear about my writing from Karen Ingalls or from another source? Please tell your friends my book is available through Amazon.com and I would be happy to discuss it with anyone who is interested. michaeljgiusti@yahoo.com Sincerely Mike Giusti

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful interview. Mr. Giusti's strong personality and self assurance shines through. The book sounds like a great inspirational read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike Giusti is a man of strong faith and resolve. His book can be used like the Book of Proverbs. Since reading it through, I now turn to it like a daily devotional. Thank you for sharing, Beth

      Delete
    2. Thank you Ms Hale. If you pick up the book through Amazon.com I would be happy to discuss it with you in detail. michaeljgiusti@yahoo.com

      Sincerely,

      Mike Giusti

      Delete