Saturday, August 27, 2016

BOOK & BLOG BLOCK PARTY DAY #2


Welcome to Rave Reviews Back to School Book & Blog Party
at
Mind, Pen, and Spirit
(A new blog site by Karen Ingalls)
in
 Tavares, Florida 

                               (The Seaplane Capital of the U.S.)

    We live on Lake Dora and this is the 
    view from my office. It inspires me
    while I write, blog, and prepare talks.     
    I am blessed: I have 3 books published;    
    I'm an 8 year cancer survivor; and I 
    have a wonderfully supportive family.


I invite you to become a follower of this blog. 
Would you like to do a guest blog?
Be interviewed?
Promote your book?


                                   LEAVE A COMMENT...
                 BE ELIGIBLE TO HAVE YOUR NAME
                                    IN THE DRAWING

                             One Prize Package filled with:
                  A signed copy of Davida: Model & Mistress
                             plus several other surprise goodies!
                                   (for U.S. residents only)    

                                           There is only

                           winner for today's drawing, so be
                       sure to leave a comment at the bottom.

Today I am highlighting my most recent novel, which is very near and dear to my heart. It is based on the true story of the love affair between my great-grandparents. I did extensive research on Augustus for which there was extensive papers, books, and articles about him and his work. The only thing we know about Davida is that was her model name, her birth first name was Albertina, and she was from Sweden. This gave me the freedom to create the personality, hopes and dreams of my great-grandmother. From one reliable source she was described as being very sweet, friendly, and always with a smile on her face.


                                         myBook.to/SaintGaudens

 Please listen to this video of Beethoven's Fifth Symphony, which was Saint-Gaudens favorite piece of music. With his magnificent tenor voice he could be heard humming or singing it. 
                             



                                 An excerpt from Davida: 
               Model & Mistress of Augustus Saint-Gaudens
Suddenly we heard Mr. Saint-Gaudens voice saying, “You are watching my brother Louis, who is my right-hand man and an artist in his own right. Come, let me introduce you.” He extended his left arm inviting us to follow him.
As we neared I could hear the brother’s baritone voice shouting instructions, “Take a little more there; no, Samuel, strike the chisel with firmness but gently; or that is good, very good.” He waved his arms over and around like he was conducting an orchestra. I found it magical.
“Louis, my dear brother, stop your work for just a moment please,” Mr. Saint-Gaudens said these words with such love in his voice. After introducing us, and some small talk Mr. Saint-Gaudens went on, “This is the young lady I was telling you about that I would like to sketch. Do you agree that she is perfect for the Morgan tomb?”
The two brothers exchanged their impressions and thoughts, sometimes in English, but mainly in French. They walked around never taking their eyes off of me and I felt mixed emotions of embarrassment and pride. I heard phrases “angular head, high cheekbones, and vibrant eyes.” My cheeks felt warm, my heart began to beat fast, and my knees began to shake. I had never experienced such attention. I glanced over at Mother, who was watching and listening trying to understand the words and gestures. Once again I asked myself the same question, “Am I really pretty?”
I was suddenly brought out of my dream-like state when I heard Mother say, “Come Albertina, it is time to return home.” She turned to the two artists and said, “Perhaps you will come to our home on Sunday at 4:00 in the afternoon to discuss your ideas for Albertina. I want my sister Ingrid, and her husband to be a part of whatever decision we make. They have lived in this country long enough to have a good command of the English language. Besides, they are my only family and I trust their judgment in all things.”

Mr. Saint-Gaudens bowed and replied, “Of course, Madam, I will be there. Before you leave, I would like you both to meet my wife and have some tea. Our apartment is just a short walk from here.”


I just learned yesterday that Davida: Model & Mistress was named the Pinnacle Book Achievement Award winner in the "literary fiction" category.  I am honored.



                         All three of my books (Kindle) are available 
                           for 0.99 Aug. 24-28 in U.S. & U.K.
               Available through Amazon: myBook.to/SaintGaudens
                                                            myBook.to/Outshine
                                                            myBook.to/NovysSon
          
                  THANK YOU FOR COMING TO TODAY'S 
                                BOOK & BLOG BLOCK PARTY
                  Be sure to go to the other blogs for the rest of the month.
                                          Here is the link: https://ravereviewsbynonniejules.wordpress.com/back-to-school-book-blog-block-party-line-up/
                           Don't forget to leave a comment...
                        you might win the very special prize package!

74 comments:

  1. Have a great day on your block party, Karen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you John. Glad you were for the party.

      Delete
  2. What a lovely idea to write a book about your great-grandmother. I've always wondered what kind of life my grandmother lived. She lived on the border of Finland with Russia, a part of the country that now actually is a part of Russia. I would love one day to do research and commemorate her in a novel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a sucker for historical romance novels, but I will enjoy reading DAVIDA even more, because there is also the personal angle to its writing, which I find fascinating. Congratulations also, for its Pinnacle Achievement Award - a great honour indeed! All the best for today's blog stop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Maretha. I also love historical and biographical books. I am overwhelmed in joy for winning the award.
      Hope you had fun at the party.

      Delete
  4. Congrats on the award, very exciting! Have a fabulous party today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jenny. Glad you came to the party.

      Delete
  5. Congratulations on the Award! Well done indeed. "Davida" sounds intriguing too. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helena, I am glad you came to the party.

      Delete
  6. How lovely to have such a wonderful view from your office! What an inspiring place to work. Your latest book sound fascinating and writing about your family history must have been such an interesting project. Congratulations on your award too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I do have one of the best views! No matter what the weather might be, stormy or sunny, the view inspires and stimulates me.
      Thank you for coming to the party.

      Delete
  7. I love hearing family history stories, especially love stories. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Davida story has romance, art, and family history. I am so glad you came to the party.

      Delete
  8. I always enjoy visiting you via your sites, Karen. You're a lovely writer. Have fun today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a nice compliment, Gwen. Thank you.

      Delete
  9. Congratulations on your award! What an honor! Your view is inspirational. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Susan for your kind words. The party is still going on so I am having fun.

      Delete
  10. Congratulations on your award, Karen! I also LOVE your office view! Thanks for sharing, take care, and have a wonderful weekend! :) ~Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephanie, thanks for coming to the party. I agree that my office view is wonderful.

      Delete
  11. Awesome office view!! Great blog. I already follow you. Awesome that you won the Pinnacle Book Achievement Award! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you are following me, Mary. If you would like to do a guest blog or be interviewed, let me know.
      Thanks for going to the party.

      Delete
  12. Congratulations on the award, Karen! Very interesting historical book and a good excerpt. Enjoy hosting RRBC on the party stop today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.H. your words are very kind. I am glad you came to the party today.

      Delete
  13. What a gorgeous view you have, Karen. So peaceful. Congratulations on receiving the Pinnacle Book Achievement Award! That's so exciting and well deserved for sure. The story is intriguing, indeed. Wishing you a fabulous party day! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate your kind words, Natalie. And yes, I have a wonderful view for which I am so blessed.
      The party is still going on so it has been and will be a fun day.

      Delete
  14. Lovely post, Karen!! Congrats on the award!! :) Enjoy your Party day!!! ~Mar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am in awe and so honored to have received the award. Glad you came to the party today.
      Thank you for all you do for RRBC.

      Delete
  15. Congratulations on the award. You are right to be proud. Happy Party day, Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, thank you for coming to the party today.

      Delete
  16. Intriguing idea for a novel, and the personal connection is wonderful. I have a theory you'll be very successful with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was my favorite book to write. I hope more people will get to know the sculpture of Augustus Saint-Gaudens AND to know Davida as a kind, sweet, and loving woman (based on letters from a dear friend and neighbor of hers.
      Thank you for stopping by.

      Delete
  17. All your writing, especially Davida, sounds interesting. Karen, have a great day!
    robert Kimbrell

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind words. Davida has been my favorite book to write. The party is still going on so lots of fun. Glad you came.

      Delete
  18. Congrats Karen on your book party. I can see that your party is already swinging. :) I do have some of your books on my Kindle, and will eventually get to them. Have fun, and enjoy your party.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joy, thank you for coming to my party.

      Delete
  19. That view from your office should provide peace and creativity. Congrats on the award. Sounds like an interesting book. Will add your book to the too darn long TBR list so please be patient.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My TBR list is very long also, but I thank you for your interest in my book. Very happy that you came to the party.

      Delete
  20. That's an awesome post! It must have been fascinating to write a book about people in your own family. &ope you have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Writing Davida: Model & Mistress was thrilling, emotional, and hard to write. I shed a lot of tears during various segments...tears of sadness and joy both.
      I am glad you came to the party.

      Delete
  21. That's an awesome post! It must have been fascinating to write a book about people in your own family. &ope you have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love an informative and interesting post and yours is both. Congratulations on the award, how lovely to be recognized this way. I do hope the remainder of your day is just wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you for coming to the party today. I am still in awe that Davida won the award. I am honored and humbled.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh what a delightful view for writing and contemplation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very blessed to have such a beautiful view no matter what the weather is like. I receive inspiration and peace just by looking out at nature, the water, clouds, and sunshine.

      Delete
  25. I love the idea of writing about your ancestors, I am sure your research was quite fun! Happy Party Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed writing this book more than any other. I became quite emotionally tied to the two main character, my great-grandparents. I hope they are looking down and saying, "Good job."
      Glad you came to the party today.

      Delete
  26. Love your view. Davida sounds like an interesting book. I purchased it after reading about it from a previous stop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy the book as much as I enjoyed writing it. Thank you for the purchase...and thanks for coming to the party.

      Delete
  27. Hi Karen,
    This is the book I have on my kindle already! I love the fact it has family history. Also, thank you for sharing Beethoven while we read your excerpt from the book. Loved it. Congrats on your award, too. Can't wait to read this book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have always loved the music of Beethoven and Mozart so I was pleasantly surprised that my great-grandfather felt the same way. Thank you for the purchase of Davida. I am glad you came to the party today.

      Delete
  28. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Lovely view and nice blog! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thank you, Linda for coming to the party.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Congratulations, Karen! What an honor, especially since this book is so special to you! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Yvette. It was great to see you at the party today.

      Delete
  32. Karen, your book sounds wonderful. I hope to get to read it. Congrats on that fantastic award and enjoy your blog tour. All my best, Micki

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Micki, thank you for your kind words. I am in awe that I won the award and also very proud. Glad you came to the party.

      Delete
  33. Hi Karen - hope you had a fun-filled and busy RRBC Back to School Blog day - nicely organized blog also - best - MikeL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike, I am glad you came to the party and it has been fun to meet you.

      Delete
  34. Hope you had a great day. Sorry I was late to the party.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does not matter that you were late for the party...you came is all that matters.

      Delete
  35. What a nice tribute to your great-grandparents, to immortalize them in a book! Nice site and great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Writing this book about my great-grandparents was a very special journey for me. I think they are looking down and saying, "Good job and thank you." Thank you for coming to the party, Bruce. It was good to see you here.

      Delete
  36. It was a fun day and a wonderful way to meet all of you. Thank you for coming to the party and your kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Hi Karen, sorry I missed your stop. I came by yesterday morning and because of other pressing issues, never got back to my computer again to see if you were live. From what I have seen, you are a survivor in more ways than one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning, Shirley and I am glad to hear from you. Yes, I see myself as a survivor/thriver from childhood abuse, divorce, alcoholic parents, and cancer. I believe each of these events were opportunities for me to grow and be a spokesperson for them.
      Wishing you a day filled with love.

      Delete
  38. A fantastic blog stop, Karen. I was involved in business matters for much of yesterday and didn't get the opportunity to stop by and show my support. You are indeed a survivor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just got to check my blog to see if there were any late arrivals!!! I am glad you came.

      Delete
  39. Hi, Karen! I decided to show up late to this stop so I wouldn't be accused of breaking anything. I hope you had a blast and if anything is missing, I'd knock on Beem's door. I'm just sayin'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have checked around and I do not see anything broken. Glad you stopped by and I apologize for being late in responding.

      Delete
  40. Replies
    1. Thank you, Green Dragon. Sorry I am late responding to you.

      Delete
  41. Many congratulations on your award Karen! Sorry I'm late to feast, but lots to enjoy here still, not least the divine Beethoven. Your great-grandfather obviously had impeccable taste! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  42. Hello Karen! I know I'm late but now that I'm safely back home in the USA with power and phone back up, I just wanted to stop in and lend my support anyway. Cheers! S.J. Francis

    ReplyDelete