Thursday, August 25, 2016

BOOK & BLOG PARTY FILLED WITH LOVE


Welcome to Rave Reviews Back to School Book & Blog Party
at
Mind, Pen, and Spirit 
In sunny Tavares, Florida


I invite you to become a follower of this blog site.
*want to be interviewed?
*write a guest blog?

What a FUN three weeks we have had!
And we still have 7 more days.
Here is the link so you won't miss a blog.


              DRAWING FROM THOSE WHO LEAVE A
                                  COMMENT. 

                            TODAY'S PRIZES FOR

                               LUCKY WINNERS:

                           $15.00 Amazon Gift Card

                                                                   
                           Signed copy of Novy's Son 
                              (For U.S. residents only)




       My name is Karen Ingalls and my claims to fame are:
           Retired nurse.
           Master's degree in psychology & human development.       




 Eight year ovarian cancer survivor.

           
         Lifetime writer, recent published author, blogger.
         Public speaker, advocate, and volunteer.
         Proud member of Rave Reviews Book Club.
         A firm believer in the power of love and God.
                   
                      I write two blogs each week. 
            www.outshineovariancancer.blogspot.com
        about relationships, health/wellness, spirituality
                                           and
                   www.kareningalls.blogspot.com
                for authors/writers and avid readers.
              

          Love is the theme of this beautiful song,
   performed by Tow'rs.   (proud to say my granddaughter is the cellist)      
                                                     


           LOVE IS THE MESSAGE OF MY BOOKS   

                   LOVE OF SELF      LOVE OF GOD       LOVE IN  A FAMILY                                                         LOVE OF GOD





          OUTSHINE: AN OVARIAN CANCER MEMOIR
                 (About love of self and love of God)

   This is about my  journey with ovarian cancer, how I coped with it, and how it was a life
learning lesson. No matter which type of cancer a person has, we each go through
the same experiences and emotions. Cancer always invokes tremendous fear and a
feeling that death is "just around the corner." Yet, not all cancers are terminal. 

  I believe that we are to learn and grow from whatever challenge in life we face. And I
know that the beauty of the soul, the real me and the real you will outshine any effects
from chemotherapy, surgery, and radiation.

Three brief quotes from the book:
         "I remained in a meditative state of abdominal breathing, focusing on
               God's healing light, and repeating words of comfort and peace."


               "I have learned that any rain that falls in my life is just droplets, and
                it's up to me whether I will let those droplets flood away my spirit."

            "When you talk about healing, you're including the way you live your life."

                                                          myBook.to/Ovarian
                      
                                 All proceeds go to gynecologic cancer research.

AMAZON reviews:
Very positive story. I like the author's frame of mind and her very useful tips
 for avoiding, confronting, and surviving cancer, whatever form it might take.

The author's inspirational journey takes her through learning, loving, faith, and on to living again. 

This book is not only for those enduring the trials of ovarian cancer, but any challenge.

Having been through the cancer experience twice, once as a patient and once as a caregiver for my husband, I heartedly recommend this as essential reading for anyone with personal experience with the disease. I wish I had read this seven years ago for me and seventeen for my husband.




                NOVY'S SON: THE SELFISH GENIUS
                    (Love between a father and son)

This book is based on the myth of the "Iron John" popularized by Robert Bly in
the 1980's. The importance of the father's role in raising and being a healthy role
model for his son cannot be overestimated. Too many boys grow up without 
a father or with one who does not know how to be a father. 
I was a nurse my therapist for 20 years and worked with a number of men who did not 
have a healthy father-son relationship, or not one at all. My grandfather did not learn how 
to teach his sons the Iron John principle so all three sons struggled to be fathers to their
sons and daughters. Each of them sought love and approval from their dad, which is the
center of the book, Novy's Son.

Two excerpts:
         "He relied on logic and the sciences for answers and therefore had 
              lived his life without much emotion. His stoicism was who he was. Now
              his tears were sadness for the loss of the woman he had loved for fifty-
              two years."

              "Dad was not close to his father, who devoted most of his time to his 
              first love, sculpting."

                                                       
                               **Please note there are two editions. Second edition
                                          includes factual names and places.


                                           Book Trailer for Novy's Son                           


AMAZON reviews:
The thing that struck me the most about this biographical novel was the way the author, Karen
Ingalls was able to reflect social changes surrounding the main character, Murray.

It intrigued me because it's a morality tale of ambition, love and family gone wrong,

It is truly amazing when an author can make a reader dislike the main character SO MUCH that it only compels you to read more! Read this book. It will most definitely make you think



        
                  DAVIDA: MODEL & MISTRESS OF 
                      AUGUSTUS SAINT-GAUDENS
                (A sculptor's love affair with his model) 

   Though this is based on a true event, it is fictionalized because there is very
little factual information about Davida. We only know her first name by birth, her 
name as a model, and that she was born in Sweden. I therefore created Davida
as I think she might have been. Since Augustus Saint-Gaudens was the premier
sculptor from 1880-1920, I had many resources of information from which to
learn about his art and what kind of a person he was.    
   
Two excerpts:                   
          "The two brothers walked around me while never taking their 
                eyes off me. They exchanged their impressions and thoughts 
                sometimes in English, but mainly in French. I heard phrases such as 
               'angular head,' 'high cheekbones,' and 'vibrant eyes.'"

             "He has professed a love, or feelings, for me. And I have seen 
                and overheard things to make me believe he is not happy in his
                marriage with Mrs. Saint-Gaudens. I just want to be with him and 
                please him. I am happiest when I am with him. That is what is in 
                my heart."

                 
                                          myBook.to/SaintGaudens
                           Based on a true story of America's premier sculptor in the late
                              nineteenth century and his model, my great-grandparents

Amazon reviews:
This story is beautifully written and captivated me from start to finish.

The history is well-researched making it easy to feel the way life moved and changed from the late 1800's to the early 1900's. I had to go look up Augustus Saint-Gaudens' actual works which are amazing. 

She so eloquently describes Davida, her great-grandmother, that the reader is pulled into an intimate connection with her. The story is both full of warmth and love yet somewhat sad that Davida and Augustus Saint-Gaudens never marry. The story also gives the reader a glimpse inside the creative world of a great American sculptor.


          All three of my books (Kindle) are at 0.99
                 from August 24-28 in USA & UK

                          myBook.to/Outshine
                          myBook.to/NovysSon
                          myBook.to/SaintGaudens



I hope you have had fun at my book and blog party today. Don't forget to leave a comment and be eligible for one of the prizes.

                   


P.S. On August 27th, I will be hosting another book and blog party...come to the party and have a chance to win a special prize

101 comments:

  1. Karen, I truly enjoyed this stop of LOVE today! Thanks for all the positive vibes that I felt as I walked thru, touching all the breakables (but I didn't break that glass jar over there, I swear! I think Marlena did it!)

    Enjoy the rest of your party-day (and don't walk around here barefeet until you clean up that broken mess Marlena made).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you were feeling the LOVE. You were the first to arrive at the party so I do not think Marlena broke the glass jar...just saying.
      Thank you for stopping by.

      Delete
    2. Karen, you threw me under the bus! Gee wiz! I seriously saw Marlena sneaking out the door..she just didn't leave any fingerprints that's why you thought it was me #HonestAbe

      :(

      Delete
  2. Hi. Great blog and your books are inspiring. I added Davida to my kindle and hope to read the rest of them soon. Incredible music and loved that fact the cellist was your granddaughter. Thanks for sharing that with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad that you enjoyed the music. All the music by Tow'rs is quite beautiful and all original to them. Thank you for adding Davida to your TBR. I loved writing that book.

      Delete
  3. Hi Karen. It was so fun to visit your blog and read about your wonderful books. Have a great day! 😃

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rhani you were rocking with love so much you had to stop by four times. Glad you came to the party and wish you good luck in the drawing.

      Delete
  4. Hi Karen. It was so fun to visit your blog and read about your wonderful books. Have a great day! 😃

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Karen. It was so fun to visit your blog and read about your wonderful books. Have a great day! 😃

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good morning Karen! I enjoyed your post so much. You are such an inspiration. Thank you for sharing your cancer survival journey with us. I hope your blog tour is very successful today. 🤓 Kind regards

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ovarian cancer claims the lives of 15,000 women in U.S. alone and yet so few of us do not know very much about it. And most of us do not survive 5 years so I feel very blessed.
      Thank you for coming to the party today.

      Delete
  8. Thank you for the inspirational post! The music was beautiful, too. Such talent

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you came to the party today and enjoyed yourself. I agree that the music is quite beautiful. It is all the group's all original music.

      Delete
  9. Hi Karen,
    Lovely music, lovely messages. Thanks for brightening others lives.
    Best Wishes, Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wendy, thank you for attending the party today. I am glad you liked it.

      Delete
  10. Hi Karen - in a rush as I'm travelling today, but I can see you've going to have a great time today! :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am having fun and I wish you safe travel.

      Delete
  11. Hi Karen, good to be here. I have two of your books already on my Kindle waiting their turn. So much to read, but we will get there. :) Have a wonderful day, and enjoy your party. :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joy, I am glad you came to the party today. And thank you for having two of my books. I also wish you a wonderful day.

      Delete
  12. Hi, Karen! You aren't too far from me! I'm in Miami. :-) I have Novy's Son sitting on my shelf (right behind me), and I'm dying to read it just as soon as I finish the book that I'm reading now. I haven't had much time for reading lately because school just started, and I am coming home bone-tired. lol! My teaching routine should kick in soon, and then I'll be back to the gym and back to reading. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yvette, I think I sent you the copy of Novy's Son as a winning prize. We are about 3 hours from each other...hopefully some day soon we can meet in person. Thank you for coming to the party today.

      Delete
  13. Thanks for the great introductions to your books today, Karen! I hope you have a great day at the Block Party.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wishing you a day filled with love and fun. Thank you for stopping by.

      Delete
  14. Interesting books. I'm seeing a lot of fantastic stuff along this tour route.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you stopped by at the party. Hope you could feel the love.

      Delete
  15. Hi Karen. What an inspiring blog post. Your work looks really interesting and sounds like it has been a great comfort to many people. I hope you have an amazing blog party today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words, Lizzie. I am happy to see you at the party. Feel the love!

      Delete
  16. Hi Karen! Thanks for sharing your inspirational and uplifting thoughts - have a great RRBC Back to school blog block party day - MikeL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good Morning, Michael. It is wonderful to have you here at the party today. Hope your day is filled with love.

      Delete
  17. Hi Karen! Thanks for sharing your inspirational and uplifting thoughts - have a great RRBC Back to school blog block party day - MikeL

    ReplyDelete
  18. Truly inspiring blog post! Your books sound amazing and you seem like an awesome person! Have a great day with the blog tour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lincoln, thank you for stopping by. I wish for your day to be filled with love.

      Delete
  19. What a wonderful positive message!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Positive thinking is so important to total health...mentally/emotionally, spiritually, and physically. Thank you for coming to the party today.

      Delete
  20. Your love shines through in your blog. It is so encouraging to read the story of someone who has been through a trial and come out with love, courage and the desire to inspire others. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a kind and beautiful comment, Tara. Thank you. It was wonderful to see you at the party.

      Delete
  21. Adding Davida to my TBR list. Unfortunately the song
    performed by Tow'rs is not available in Uruguay so I couldn't hear your granddaughter as the cellist. Thanks for sharing inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My book, Davida is a very special one and I enjoyed writing it more than the other two. I am sorry you could not listen to the music. Wishing you a day filled with love.

      Delete
  22. Karen, I love the postive message of your blog post. And btw, that performance by Tow'r is hauntingly lovely. You have a talented granddaughter. I've just grabbed copies of Novy's Son and Davida from Amazon at your wonderful pricing! My TBR is a wee bit backed up, but I will be reading these. Happy party day! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning and thank you for coming to the party today. I suggest that you read Davida first and then Novy's Son so that the story lines flow together better. Thank you for your purchase. I am glad you liked the music and my blog. Wishing you a day filled with love.

      Delete
  23. I think so many people never really appreciate life until they are given a second chance. Your theme of Love is inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When any of us are faced with a challenge (I prefer that word) we have two choices: let it defeat us or rise above it. I believe that love is the most important emotion to have. Thank you for coming to the party. Glad you were here.

      Delete
  24. Both of my parents are cancer survivors, so I know what a "claim to fame" that is. Congratulations to you, and thank you for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very happy for your parents...congratulations to them. I am always willing and happy to share about my journey with cancer. Even though it was ovarian, the emotional and spiritual journey with cancer is the same for all of us.

      Delete
  25. Hello Karen. Love your blog and your books look quite interesting. I think I already have one on my Kindle and hope to have it read soon. I am now following your blog as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for following my blog. I wish you a day filled with love.

      Delete
  26. A truly great stop on the Blog tour...I've been arguing with myself over spiritual issues as of late, and your page is a much-needed piece of the puzzle.
    Robert Kimbrell

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. May love fill your heart and peace in your search. I often blog about spirituality in my other blog www.outshineovariancancer.blogspot.com as well as relationships and health/wellness. Thank you for coming to the party.

      Delete
  27. Hello Karen! Great to stop by today, I really enjoyed your blog. I have Novy's Son in my kindle and am anxious to read it. Enjoy your party stop today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenny, I am glad you came to the party today. Wishing you a day filled with love.

      Delete
  28. Your post is wonderful and your personal history amazing.It is so true it all comes down to love. Your book examining the importance of sons with strong fathers sounds like an excellent read.I also am impressed with your research to make this book come alive. You are not only a survivor but, a teacher so others can survive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many kind words...thank you. I learned early on in life from my grandmother and adopted aunt that love is the only answer to all things. I am glad you came to the party today.

      Delete
  29. Thanks for sharing your books with us, Karen. It's great that have channeled the pain and despair from cancer into something positive for others. Learning to cope with any disease is difficult, so you giving insight into how you've come out on the other side, for others to use in their struggles, is inspiring. Good luck in all of your writing endeavors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whether it is a health issue, financial, relationship, job change, or whatever, the word I use is challenge. We can choose to let the challenge drag us down or rise above it. I have tried to learn and grow from each challenge I have faced...I believe that is all a part of having love for myself, others, and God. Thank you for coming to the party.

      Delete
  30. It was great to learn a little more about you and your books today. Glad I stopped by.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you came to the party. May your day be filled with love.

      Delete
  31. Hi Karen! It's good to see you again. I won a paperback version of "Novy's Son" and have an ebook version as well. So I hope I win first prize. lol

    Good luck on your stop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And it is nice to see you also, Shirley. You certainly have a supply of Novy's Son! I will be interested to read your impression about a book with Murray seeking his father's love, but unfortunately using anti-social behaviors. Thanks for coming to the party!

      Delete
  32. Hi Karen, you have a lovely website, and your blog party is great fun. Outshine was wonderful, and I'm looking forward to finishing Novy and Davida. Enjoy the day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gwen, thank you for coming to the party today. I hope you enjoy my two novels. I would recommend you read Davida first and then Novy.
      Hope you have been blessed with lots of love today.

      Delete
  33. Hi Karen! Thanks so much for sharing; it was nice to learn a little more about you! Your books look great; I look forward to checking them out! Take care and enjoy the rest of your week! :) ~Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words. I have enjoyed getting to know the various authors as well.
      Wishing you a day filled with love.

      Delete
  34. I love historical fiction. I'll have to check out DAVIDA!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Writing Davida required a lot of research which I enjoyed. There is so little known about Davida, I was able to use my imagination and create her.
      Hope you got filled with lots of love at the party.

      Delete
  35. Hey, Karen! It's wonderful to get to know more about you and your books. Outshine is on my TBR already, and I'll have to give your other books a look too! Very best of luck with everything :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you came to the party today, Harmony. I look forward to the rest of the blogs for the rest of the month. You have been very supportive of me and I do appreciate it.
      Sending you lots of love!

      Delete
  36. Thank you for sharing your work with us, Karen. I'm truly inspired by your journey and commend your grace to share it. Despite the prevalence of ovarian cancer, it doesn't receive the awareness it deserves. Thank you. :)
    As a new follower, I look forward to your blog posts as well. Hope you enjoy a fabulous party day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for becoming a follower of the blog. And thank you for your kind words. Yes,ovarian cancer takes 15,.000 lives a year in just the U.S. Most of us do not survive 5 years. I hope each of us on RRBC will let every female know about its symptoms...they can sneak up on us.
      Hope you have had a day filled with love.

      Delete
  37. Hi, Karen, the music was a delight, what a lovely way to start my day!Your books are inspirational, and have been added to my TBR. I hope the remainder of your day is marvelous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a fun day it has been getting to know so many of you. Thank you for your interest in my books.
      Did you feel the love today? I hope so.

      Delete
  38. Very good assortment of genres and they all sound fabulous. Have a fun party today, Karen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for coming to the party today.

      Delete
    2. You're welcome. I just picked up a copy of Davida

      Delete
  39. Wonderful post, Karen!! Thank you so much for making today's party awesome!! ~Mar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been a fun day and I have enjoyed meeting so many people. Thank you RRBC for making this possible.

      Delete
  40. What a nice and inspirational post! And you might want to keep an eye on Nonnie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words, Bruce. And yes, I will keep a very watchful eye on Nonnie.
      Hope you had a day full of love.

      Delete
    2. Bruce!!!!! You're supposed to be on my sideeeeeee!!!!!!!

      Delete
    3. (...as I run past Karen with her best silver)

      Delete
  41. Impressive range of topics. Well done. Hope today is very successful for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So nice to meet you, Helena. I am glad you came to the party.

      Delete
  42. Replies
    1. Thank you, Neil. The party today was fun and full of love.

      Delete
  43. Dear Karen, I love your blog--the neatness,easy to maneuver and interesting subjects. I stopped writing this and went of to buy 'Outshine' for a selfish reason. I need to see how you coped with a terminal illness so I can do better with mine. I'm running out of options and hope and need what your book will provide. So glad I dropped by--and did not get lost once.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First of all, Micki thank you for your kind words. I hope my book Outshine will bring you some help, and more importantly a sense of peace and sunshine.
      I personally do not like to use the words, "I have a terminal illness." Every human from the time the first breath is taken, is terminal or dying or mortal. Cancer is a disease that can cause the end of life, or be a chronic disease, or be cured.
      I see my cancer diagnosis as just one of several "challenges" I have had to face in this lifetime. I prefer the word challenge because a person can choose to give up and be negative, fearful, and not live, or we can choose to face with it an attitude of what can I learn, grow, and be a better person. I see a challenge not just as a health one, but could be financial, job change, divorce, untimely death of a loved one, abuse, and so many other possibilities.
      My prayers are with you, Micki. Thank you for sharing.

      Delete
  44. Hi, Karen. Sorry to be late to the party. Your blog shines and I enjoyed all of it. I have Novy's Son downloaded to my Kindle and it is patiently awaiting its turn in line.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so nice to hear that my blog shines. Thank you. Novy's Son is not a book people usually enjoy, but hopefully learn from it the importance of a father's role in a son's upbringing. The book Iron John by Robert Bly brought awareness in the 1980's about the loss of the father-son relationship. It is still true today and is not a subject most people will talk about or understand its depth.
      I will be curious as to your thoughts about my book which is based on the life of my father.
      I am glad you came to the party.

      Delete
  45. Loved the music video. Your granddaughter is amazingly talented. Your book sounds very soulful as well. Plus, you share a last name with one of my favorite authors. Puts you on my must be read list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Ingalls comes from my husband's side...his 3x great-grandfather and her 3x great grandfather were brothers.
      I am very proud of my granddaughter. Thank you and I am glad you enjoyed the music.
      All three of my books are what I consider soul-searching and social issue related. One on cancer, the other on family dynamics, and the third one on social, religious, and individual morals and choices.
      Thank you for coming to the party.

      Delete
  46. Hello Karen! Lovely blog! Hope you're not cooking in Florida way! Keep writing! Keep cool! Keep surviving!
    Cheers! SJ Francis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been a hot summer, but I still played golf twice a week! Now we are watching the tropical storms to see what they are going to do.
      I will keep writing, staying cool, and surviving/thriving. Thank you for the encouragement.

      Delete
  47. I truly enjoyed this stop, Karen. I love the music selection. Best wishes to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you liked the music. I play it often as background music when I am writing.
      Thank you for stopping by at the party.

      Delete
  48. I'm late - but I made it! :-) Lovely blog for a lovely lady - I hope you've collected a lot of new fans during this party! :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan, I think you responded earlier, but I am glad to hear from you again. It has been a fun party.

      Delete
  49. I enjoyed my visit to your blog, and I loved the music.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am happy that you liked the music. I often play it while I am writing. I find it very soothing. I hope you had fun at the party. I did.

      Delete
  50. Sorry I didn't get by on the 25th but I enjoyed reading about all your books on this stop!

    ReplyDelete
  51. P.H. sorry you missed the party...but I am glad you came. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  52. Brilliant blurbs! I hope you'll forgive us tardy guests :)

    ReplyDelete